Pepper Soup Spices: PepperSoup ingredient names in Nigeria
The Nigerian Pepper soup spices
There are a variety of pepper soup spices in Nigeria that differ by region, so you may want to experiment to see which one suits you best. Surprisingly, the majority of the Nigerian spices are utilized in traditional medicine, with some of their applications having been confirmed in the lab.
These are a few of the most frequent ones, along with their common local names, English names (when available), and botanical names. Please note that this is not a complete list
Most of them will have alternative names in their native tongues, and many of them will be used in other dishes.
Just before serving the soups, add fresh herbs like parsley, mint, basil, and fragrance leaf for added freshness, color, and flavor.
- Nigerian Pepper Soup | African Chicken Pepper Soup Recipe
- Top Dessert – A Nigerian Goat Meat Pepper Soup
- Fresh Fish Pepper Soup | How to Make Nigerian Point & Kill
- Pepper Soup African / Nigerian with Assorted Meat
- Deer Meat Pepper Soup: Nigerian Local Bush Meat Delicacy
- Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup | African Pepper Soup Recipe
The spices in Nigerian Pepper soup – Name Nigerian Pepper Soup Spices
If you’ve ever tasted African pepper soup, you might be curious as to what gives it its distinct and earthy flavor. I’ll demonstrate how to make pepper soup spice from scratch with traditional ethnic spices.
African pepper soups are produced with a rich and distinct blend of pepper soup spices. These spices are prominent in West African cuisine and can be found in a number of ethnic soups.
Traditional spices used in the making of African Pepper Soup Spice
Pepper soup spice list: Finding Names for Pepper Soup Spices-Pepper soup Ingredient names
Pepper soup ingredient names – spices, fruits, and vegetables that are rarely known, underutilized, and underappreciated.
I believe that we need to learn more, explore more, and document more of what we already have in the hopes of discovering new uses and applications that have broad appeal for the general public, ranging from health and wellness to food security.
List of Pepper Soup Ingredients
- Calabash Nutmeg – Pepper Soup Spices
Other names: African nutmeg
Monodora Myristica (botanical name)
Erhe – Urhobo; Ukposa – Bini Iwo – Itsekiri; Ehuru – Igbo; Ariwo – Yoruba; Gujiya dan miya – Hausa;
It consists of a seed and shell.
Parts Used: The Seed
Uses: condiment for soups, joined to make spice blends for peppersoup
- Gbafilo – Pepper Soup Spices
Other names: rough-skinned, Guinea plum, Grey
Gbafilo/Gbafilor: Itsekiri, and out of interest, in Brazil, it is called Grageru or Abageru.
It consists of sandpaper similar to shell and kernel
Parts Used: kernel
Uses: condiment in soups, mixed to make spice blends for peppersoup
- Grains of Selim – Pepper Soup Spices
The fruits are slender, slightly torulose, dark brown or black, and approximately 2 inches long, borne in clusters (separate carpels) on a thick penduncle (The Useful Plants of West Africa).
Other names: African, Guinea, Ethiopian Pepper
Botanical name: Xylopia Aethiopica
Urheri – Urhobo; Unien – Bini; Atta – Ibibio/Efik; Uda – Igbo; Eeru – Yoruba
It consists of skin and seeds. The seeds are bitter.
Parts Used: both–the skin is used more often, ground and added to soups or bruised and used whole.
Uses: Used as a seasoning in soups, in spice blends for peppersoup, in agbo (bitters), in water to purify it, and as a flavoring agent in palm wine.
- Uziza – Pepper Soup Spices
Other names: Guinea Cubebs, West African Black Peppers, Bush Peppers
Edusa – Ibibio; Eti-nkeni – Efik; Uziza – Igbo; Iyere – Yoruba
It consists of dried blackberries.
Uses: condiments used in soups, rice, etc.
- Alligator Pepper – Pepper Soup Spices
Other names: Grains of Paradise
Aframomum Melegueta, botanical name
Bini-Ehie ado; Ntuen – Efik; Ose oji/okwa – Igbo; Oburo – Yoruba
It consists of skin and seeds. The seeds are aromatic and pungent, with some strains of cardamom flavor.
The seeds are pulverized and added to soups and stews; they can also be swallowed with kola nuts for a numbing effect.
It is used as a seasoning in soups, in spice blends for peppersoup, in agbo (bitters), in water to purify it, and as a flavoring agent in palm wine.
Alligator pepper (Aframomum melegueta), which is used to make pepper soup spices, has a number of health benefits, including the ability to prevent infections and treat wounds, protect against travel dangers, treat stomach problems like ulcers, worms, diarrhea, and stomach pain, and stimulate desires.
- Tetrapleura Tetraptera – Pepper Soup Spices
Other names: Prekese [Ghana]
Aframomum Melegueta, botanical name
Yoruba – Aridan; Edem Inang – Efik; Ighimiakhie – Bini; Usho usho – Igbo
It consists of long-winged fruit pods, two hardy edible wings, and two soft and delicious edible wings.
Soft wings are edible and are used in this recipe.
used: roasted and ground for soups and sauces; ground for soups. Palm wine is sometimes flavored with ground pulp.
- Umilo, Omilo
Other names: Cocoplum [Caribbean]
Omilo/Umilo – Itsekiri
It consists of two parts: shell and seed/kernel.
The Parts Used: shell is broken and the seed/kernel that is inside is used.
- Ocimum gratissimum, Efrin, Nchanwu, African Basil, Clove Basil This pungent herb is used in pepper soups, salads, pottages, and as a stand-alone vegetable.
- Uyayak (nine) (Aridan, Prekese, Tetrapleura tetraptera). Potassium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus are among the macro-elements found in abundance.
Homemade Nigerian Pepper soup spice Mix from scratch using traditional African spices.
Nigerian Pepper Soup Spice Mix is incredibly simple to prepare, and the aroma is far superior to store-bought versions.
You’ll know exactly what goes into your pepper soup spice mix, aside from the fresh aroma, because it contains no additives or preservatives.
This is how you make it.
Homemade Nigerian Pepper Soup Ingredients
You’ll need the following items:
- Nutmeg 6–8 pieces of calabash
- 8 negro pepper chunks (Uda seeds)
- 1 tablespoon seeds (Atariko/Ulima seed) of Aligator pepper
- This makes approximately 3 tablespoons of pepper soup spice combination.
Note: Some people like to add dried ginger roots and cubeb peppers (uziza seeds) to their blend, so feel free to do so.
Prepare the calabash nutmeg by roasting it in a frying pan until it turns dark brown and emits a pleasant aroma. Remove the outer layer of skin with a gentle peeling motion.
- To begin, roast the Calabash Nutmeg in a frying pan until it begins to get dark brown and emits a pleasant aroma. Then, remove the seed from the inside by gently peeling off the outer skin.
- Secondly, to make a fine powder, put the calabash nutmeg, Negro pepper (Uda seeds), and Aligator pepper (Atariko/Ulima seeds) in a blender and then, grind to a fine powder.
- After that, fill an airtight jar with the mixture and store it somewhere dry. Finally, if stored properly, this pepper soup spice combination can last up to a year.
You now have your own homemade pepper soup spice, which you can use in any Nigerian pepper soup recipe.